I decided to venture into canning this year. I grew up watching and helping my family members Can. It is a lot of hard work and can take up a big chunk of your day, but the rewards are very worth it! It is nice to know you can feed your family yummy fruit all winter long. Without all the preservatives, unlike store bought canned fruit. Homemade canned fruit taste so much better too!
For $16, we were able to buy 24 lbs of peaches from our local Farmers Market. I wanted to Can all 24 lbs, but could not keep my family out of the peaches LOL! So, I probably ended up canning 22 lbs.
We have a glass cook-top stove, which is NOT good for canning. The glass can crack from the weight of the canner. My Mom said this actually happened to my Great Aunt, and it did ruin her cook-top. I had to get creative......So we pulled out our Coleman Camping Stove. It works GREAT! It also saves energy and the best part is, you do not have to worry about heating up the house:-) We ended up yielding 18 Pints.

Another Beach Trip to St. George Island
1 day ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment